Directions to Makolo Bay
• Take the N4 - past Witbank, Mbombela(Nelspruit) and all the way to the Komatipoort border.
• Once through the Ressano Garcia border post, follow the main toll road to Maputo
• As you enter Maputo proceed through the toll gate and shortly after take a left turn onto EN1 to Xai-Xai. This is the main coastal road north.
• Pass Villages of Maracuene (28km), Manhica (75km), Macia (143km) and Chissano to the town of Xai-Xai 204km North of Maputo, this is a good place to re-fuel.
• Continue on the North Coastal Road passing smaller villages and towns,including Chidenguele (262km), Quissico (392km) and Inharrime (372km).
• From Inharrime continue for approximately 45km passing Cumbano which has a large radio mast on the left side of the road to LINDELA
• Keep a look out for a sign board on your left saying LINDELA.
• Immediately after this sign the tar road forks, turn right.
• Inhambane is approximately 33km from this turn.
• Once in Inhambane drive to where you see the harbour quay on your left.
• Turn right at Broad Road Ave. DA Independecia (it is possible that there will be no road names up).
• Continue to the large semi-circle, turn right onto the road running at the back of the circle.
• Continue with this road - it bears left as you leave the town.
• Keep on this road, passing the airport turn-off on your left. Continue with this road for 18km.
• As you come over a rise you will find Babalaza Restaurant on your right.
• The tar road bears right and a sand road continues straight. (9kms of sand)
• Keep straight on the sand road and follow signs to Makolo Bay
Want to avoid Maputo try the following alternate route
Approximately 40 km from the border post, turn left to Moamba. In Moamba stay on tar road and turn right. Shortly after leaving Moamba turn left and cross the river over new bridge. Tar now ends. Keep on this road through village of Sabie to Magude town (95km). Go through Magude, cross railroad bridge, turn left to Xinavane. Go straight through Xinavane to T junction. Turn left onto EN 1 towards Masia and Xai Xai. This route is shorter than route through Maputo and more scenic. 4 x 4 recommended. This is only for 4x4 vehicles so please no small vehicles.